The town office is located in the Hamlet of Stephens Mills on route 21 just north of Hornellsville, Mailing address is 8217 Cream Hill Road, Arkport, New York 14807
The town of Fremont was formed November 17, 1854 from parts of Hornellsville, Wayland, Dansville and Howard. The town was named after General John Fremont. The town lies northwest of the centre of Steuben county, the terrain is hilly upland; which forms the dividing ridge between the Cohocton and Canisteo rivers.
The town comprises for the most part, of Fine grazing lands and good wheat and general farming land. There are several hamlets within the town, such as Big Creek, Haskinville, Jobs Corners, Stephens Mills and Seely Creek.